Show Side Menu
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999

What To Do In A Medical Emergency

HIGHLEY SURGERY (Telephone 861572): If you have a minor medical emergency, during surgery hours your first port of call should be Highley Surgery.

MINOR INJURIES UNITS: Minor Injuries Units will see patients with minor illnesses and injuries, if their own GP surgeries are closed or cannot deal with the incident.

The Bridgnorth Community Hospital Minor Injuries Unit (Tel: 01746 762641) is open Monday to Sunday: 8am – 9.30pm.

The Kidderminster Hospital Minor Injury Unit (Tel: 01562 513039) is open 24/7.

If in doubt, telephone the GP surgery or Minor Injury Unit first.

ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY (A&E): The two Accident and Emergency departments in Shropshire are at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (Tel: 01743 261000) and Princess Royal Hospital, Telford (Tel: 01952 641222). Examples of situations where going to A&E would be appropriate include:

  • Suspected broken bones
  • Severe blood loss
  • Drug overdose
  • Loss of consciousness

For further advice you should dial 111, which is a helpline for urgent but not life-threatening health issues.


If you are unable to get the patient to A&E, either yourself or via public transport (for example by taxi), or suspect that medical attention is required as a matter of urgency (for example, someone has lost consciousness and remains unconscious), dial 999 for an ambulance.

Examples of situations when you should dial 999 without delay include:

  • Suspected heart attack
  • Severe asthma attack
  • Suspected stroke
  • Major epileptic fit

Patients are advised that A&E and 999 calls are for genuine emergencies only.

This advice is a summary of previous articles on the HPG page of the Forum.

Local Services, Let Morris and Company Limited
Local Services, Let Morris and Company Limited