Highley Medical Centre is delighted to have a patient group which has been in existence since 2009. The main reason for forming Highley Patient Group (HPG) was to support a large minority of patients who at the time felt that they did not understand what the Surgery was trying to deliver to them as patients. Similarly the HPG provides the practice with an insight to the views, thoughts, comments and suggestions of our patients and broadens the connection between the practice and it’s patients who come not just from Highley but, also from Button Oak, Kinlet, Chorley, Billingsley, Chelmarsh, Hampton Loade and Eardington.
Both the HPG and the surgery value the opinions of all patients.
HPG meet every 3 months and currently has 13 members. The Group is a mix of local men and women ranging in age from 50- to 85. Theresa Dolman, Practice Manager is invited to the meetings and always willing to answer questions.
To try and obtain wider views Highley Patient Group (HPG):
- Produces a regular monthly newsletter for the Highley Forum (Parish Magazine), focussing on local issues around health care e.g. Age UK, Keeping Warm in Winter, and how Repeat Prescriptions operate.
- The HPG promotes it’s existence and it’s activities in the practice waiting room, the Highley Forum, the practice leaflet and practice website and occasionally the local Press because the HPG feels that patient power when channelled responsibly is a positive force and a constructive way forward for the Surgery as well as for it’s patients.
- The HPG supports the Surgery’s fundraising activities i.e. the annual McMillan coffee morning and second hand books for sale within the surgery for the cost of a donation which also goes to McMillan charity.
- Have a dedicated page on the practice website with remote access allows HPG information and minutes of the Group meetings to be available and regularly updated.
- We change the date and time and venue of meetings to attract more people to the Group.
- HPG are instrumental in the administration and analysis of the annual Patient Survey.
The current membership of HPG reflects the types of patients who are community spirited, community aware and have a certain level of confidence and free time. The group would like to hear more from young families and the youth in our community but we appreciate it is not always possible with busy lives to attend meetings.
If you would like to be involved in our patient group but, would find attending meetings difficult please contact Theresa Dolman, Practice Manager at the surgery and we will discuss how your views can be represented in a way that is convenient to you e.g. you may be happy to be contacted periodically via email.
Members of the HPG have experience of a range of medical conditions and situations and this knowledge is very valuable in helping the surgery support specific needs: they are also very proud of their role in bringing forward the views of all members of the community and support every patient to have their comments, suggestions, questions or grumbles heard if they are asked to do so.
We carried out a patient survey for 4 weeks during January 2014. Prior to the survey the practice displayed posters on the information board informing patients that a survey would be undertaken. It also informed patients what to expect in terms of content, time and confidentiality.
In developing the survey this year we added a “Friends and Family Test” question. Of those patients who took part in the survey 95% would recommend the practice.
The results of the 2014 survey were discussed at the HPG meeting on 11th February 2014 which concluded there were no issues identified through the survey that required further action.
The results of this survey and previous patient surveys can be found by clicking on the patient participation group section of the practice website www.highleymedicalcentre.co.uk
Highley Patient Group (HPG) aims to support both patients and the practice by offering an alternative perspective on many topics relevant to healthcare. HPG meetings are open to all – just pop in.
If you would like to become involved or for more information about the patient group or meeting dates details are on the practice website
or please contact Theresa Dolman, Practice Manager – Highey Medical Centre. 01746 861572.
The surgery reception is open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8.30am to 6.30 pm and 8.30 am to 12.30 pm on Wednesday. You can telephone or call into the surgery during these times.
Surgery times for the doctors and the practice nurses can be found here.
The practice provides extended hours on Monday evenings 6.30pm to 7pm which enables patients to access appointments at a later time.
Patients can make an appointment by telephone or calling into the practice. The practice also offers online facilities to enable patients to book and cancel appointments with the doctors and order repeat prescriptions. For more information follow the EMIS Access link from the practice website.
When the surgery is closed patients can call:- NHS 111 on 111. For more information follow the Out of Hours link from the practice website.